Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School (Carrollton, Ga.)
- Existence: 1906-1933
Biographical / Historical
The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School was established in December, 1906 in Carroll County, Georgia following the August 18, 1906 approval of Public Law 448 by the Georgia General Assembly, an act providing for the establishment and maintenance of schools of agriculture and mechanical arts to serve rural youth in each congressional district. The school operated from 1908-1933, becoming West Georgia College on April 15, 1933. It remained a college until noon on June 12, 1996, when it was named the State University of West Georgia. This name changed in 2005 to University of West Georgia.
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Scrapbooks, photographs, and documents about University of West Georgia history collected by a director of Alumni Relations at the University of West Georgia.
Dates: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1950-2008; 1907-2012
Overview The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical (A & M) School records contain documents and artifacts pertaining to the school's establishment in 1906 by the Georgia General Assembly, and its operation from 1908-1933. The school was located just outside the city limits of Carrollton, Georgia in Carroll County. In 1933 the campus became West Georgia College. The records include information about school finances, student activities, as well as school publications. The records also include...
Dates: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1906-1933; 1891-2011 (bulk 1906-1933)
Overview This collection contains 187 cassette tapes, 31 compact discs, 9 VHS tapes, and six paper transcripts. The recordings are oral history interviews, speeches, and musical instruction and performances.
Overview Public and private papers of the second principal of the Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School in Georgia, who then became the first president of West Georgia College. His term as the first president of West Georgia College lasted from 1933-1960.
Scope and Contents note The George Howell Robison and Mary Ethyl Robison Papers are a reflection of the early history of the University of West Georgia. The collection is composed of reunion correspondence, school work, newspaper clippings and photographs. Many of the items refer directly to the Fourth District A&M School, including graduation invitations and report cards.
Dates: bulk 1915-1985