Skip to main content

Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School records

 Collection
Identifier: UA-0007

Scope and Content

This collection contains advertisements, announcements, artifacts, bulletins, class roster, clippings, diplomas, leaflets, magazines, newsletters, newspapers, photographs, press releases, publications, reports, scrapbooks, student notebooks, yearbooks, and others materials.

The items document the activities of the Board of Trustees and administration of the school including finances, student activities, alumni, campus improvements, and school publications.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within Bulk, 1906-1933
  • 1891-2011 (bulk 1906-1933)

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Open to all users; no restrictions

User Restrictions

As stipulated by U.S. copyright laws

Administrative History

On August 18, 1906, the Georgia General Assembly approved Public Law 448, an act providing for the establishment and maintenance of schools of agriculture and mechanical arts to serve rural youth in each of the congressional districts. It was thereafter named the Perry Act after Hall County Senator H. H. Perry who had initiated the bill. Provisions of the bill stipulated that the schools would teach agricultural methods, mechanical arts, and English with allowance for other courses as the individual school could afford. Carrollton's school additionally offered history, math, penmanship, and domestic science for girls.

In December 1906, Carroll County was selected as the site for the Fourth District A & M School. The school was located on 275 acres, which were purchased from Bluford A. Sharp. The property was commonly known at the time as the Bonner Plantation as the land had been owned by Thomas Bonner from 1844 to 1865. The campus was located outside the city limits with a postal address of Genola. Two brick buildings were initially erected on campus---an administration building and a dormitory---both of which were unfinished at the beginning of the first term in January 1908.

Rural youth, both girls and boys of secondary school age, came from the ten counties in western Georgia which comprised the Fourth Congressional District, either as boarding or day students. In the first year of operation, seven counties were represented in the student body of 110 pupils, 70% of whom were from Carroll County. Students attended classes and provided all of the manual labor on the campus and school farms.

Red and blue became the official colors on February 20, 1908, and initially, the athletic teams were called the A & M Tigers. By 1927 they were called the Aggies.

John H. Melson served as the first principal from 1907-1920. Irvine S. Ingram, who later became the first president of West Georgia College, was the second principal, serving from 1920-1933.

The Fourth District A & M School operated for twenty-five years before the state of Georgia moved to disband all the A & M schools in March 1933. This decision was largely due to the exponential growth of accredited high schools in the state, which decreased the need for district schools. Bowdon State Normal and Industrial College and the Seventh District A & M located in Powder Springs were also affected by the state's educational reorganization. These institutions, along with the Fourth District A & M, were, in effect, consolidated when the newly created University System of Georgia Board of Regents announced on April 15 that the Fourth District A & M site would become West Georgia College.

Extent

6.26 Linear feet (5 boxes, 2 oversize boxes, 1 OV Folder, and 1 package )

Language

English

Overview

The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical (A & M) School records contain documents and artifacts pertaining to the school's establishment in 1906 by the Georgia General Assembly, and its operation from 1908-1933. The school was located just outside the city limits of Carrollton, Georgia in Carroll County. In 1933 the campus became West Georgia College. The records include information about school finances, student activities, as well as school publications. The records also include materials from the school's alumni association and items from a time capsule, which were part of a cornerstone of the Administration Building in 1907.

Arrangement

Organized into four series: 1. Fourth District A & M School; 2. Fourth District A & M School Alumni Association; 3. Administration Building Cornerstone Contents; 4. Oversize

Arranged alphabetically by file title.

Provenance

Original records of the school were retained by West Georgia College, now the University of West Georgia, as part of its institutional heritage. Materials were also donated by alumni or were transferred from Alumni Relations. Contents of the time capsule were transferred from the Anthropology Department. Two items relating to Charles Evans were donated by Olivia E. Kappus in 1984.

Related Collections

UA-0002-01, Irvine S. Ingram papers

UA-0008, Seventh District Agricultural and Mechanical School records

LH-0017, George H. and Mary Ethyl Robison papers

LH-0023, Woodfin Carmical collection

Online Access to Materials

A selection of materials from this collection have been digitized and are available online at the Digital Library of Georgia. Additionally, the container list below indicates digitized materials with the note "View Online."

Processed By

Processed by Jennifer Little in 2013
Title
Guide to the Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School Records 1891-2011 (bulk 1906-1933) UA-0007
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Written by Jennifer Little in 2013
Date
© 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English
Sponsor
Finding aid converted with funds from a UWG FY14 Presidential Assistance Grant.

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States