Skip to main content

Irvine S. Ingram papers

 Collection
Identifier: UA-0002-01

Scope and Contents note

This collection contains the public and private papers of the first president of then West Georgia College. The majority of the collection consists of books, correspondence, diplomas, genealogies, newspaper articles, photographs, record discs, reports, and scrapbooks. As well, there are also materials written by Ingram's wife, Martha Munro Ingram, and their daughter, Anne Ingram.

Dates

  • 1886-1978

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

Open to all users; no restrictions

Conditions Governing Use note

As stipulated by U.S. copyright law

Biographical/Historical note

Irvine Sullivan Ingram was born 11 November 1892 in Whitfield County, Georgia, the oldest child of George Conley and Annie Lee Irvine Ingram. His father died when Ingram was a teenager, leaving him to help support his younger sisters. He became a school teacher and took college courses as time allowed.

In 1919, he became school superintendent for Chipley, Georgia. In 1920, when J. H. Melson resigned as principal of the Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School in western Georgia, Ingram was selected to succeed him even though he had not yet earned a bachelor's degree.

It was at the Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School that he met his future wife, Martha Munro, a teacher and daughter of attorney George Munro, the chairman of the school's board of trustees. They married in 1921 and had one child, Anne, in 1924. Ingram earned an A.B. degree from the University of Georgia in 1928, and an A.M. degree from Emory in 1933. In 1952, he was awarded an honorary Ed.D. from Oglethorpe University. In 1955, Ingram's wife died of cancer. He never remarried, and spent much of his remaining life with his daughter.

Ingram was instrumental in developing the concept of "extension" education and adult-education offerings along with a summer school program for local teachers to develop their skills. In 1933, the Board of Regents abolished the Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School and established a junior college in Carrollton, West Georgia College, appointing Ingram as its first president.

Among his achievements was obtaining a substantial grant of $250,000 from the Rosenwald Foundation used to expand the college's facilities and programs, including the Sanford building, originally used as a library. In the mid-1940s, West Georgia College began the College in the Country program, initially an adult or continuing education program that eventually involved student teachers from the college, and foreign exchange programs that brought national recognition to the college.

In 1957, the Board of Regents granted four-year status to West Georgia College. Ingram was president of West Georgia College until his retirement on 1 July 1960. His successor, William H. Row, died unexpectedly during his first year in service so Ingram came out of retirement for six months in 1961 until a successor, James E. Boyd, came .

Ingram was active in the community for the next twenty years, writing a column for the Carrollton newspaper and serving in local civic groups. He also traveled around the world with his daughter, and wrote about his impressions and experiences for the newspaper and in other venues.

Ingram died 27 December 1981 and is buried in the Carrollton City Cemetery.

Extent

45.32 Linear feet (75 boxes, 9 OV boxes)

Language

English

Overview

Public and private papers of the second principal of the Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School in Georgia, who then became the first president of West Georgia College. His term as the first president of West Georgia College lasted from 1933-1960.

Arrangement note

I. Books

II. Annual Reports

III. Statutes

IV. MSS - First Accession

V. Wall Regalia and Framed Photographs

VI. MSS - Second Accession

VII. Scrapbooks and Photographs

VIII. Oversize

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Irvine S. Ingram, dates unknown and Anne G. Ingram.

Related Archival Materials note

UA-0007, Fourth District A and M School records MS-0030, Anne G. Ingram papers

Separated Materials note

A majority of the books from the Irvine S. Ingram papers have been separated and catalogued.

Processing Information note

Processed by Suzanne Durham and Jason Kennedy, 2010-2013

Selected portions of this collection have been digitized and are available in the Special Collections research guide at http://libguides.westga.edu/c.php?g=1019352
Title
Guide to the Irvine S. Ingram papers, 1886-1978 UA-0002-01
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Written by Suzanne Durham and Jason Kennedy, 2010-2013
Date
© 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English
Sponsor
Finding aid converted with funds from a UWG FY14 Presidential Assistance Grant.

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States