West Georgia College
Biographical / Historical
The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School was established in December, 1906 in Carroll County, Georgia following the August 18, 1906 approval of Public Law 448 by the Georgia General Assembly, an act providing for the establishment and maintenance of schools of agriculture and mechanical arts to serve rural youth in each congressional district. The school operated from 1908-1933, becoming West Georgia College on April 15, 1933. It remained a college until noon on June 12, 1996, when it was named the State University of West Georgia. This name changed in 2005 to University of West Georgia.
Found in 59 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The ACLU Carroll County Chapter was organized in 1968 and first met on April 7, 1969 on the campus of West Georgia College. Although the organization helped raise awareness of larger national issues like abortion and prison reform, the group focused the majority of their attention and resources on cases involving students.
Overview Five student newspapers written by West Georgia College students between 1967 and 1985, including Renaissance, The Paper, The New Paper, The Rowykin Puddlepacer, and Umoja. All publications deal with student life and display counterculture and political activity of students who lived on campus.
Overview Activities of the University of West Georgia Chapter of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP), a professional organization that seeks to advocate for academic freedom and shared governance, to define ethics and standards, and to support higher education as a beneficial contribution to the community.
Overview This collection contains the papers of West Georgia College's third president, James E. Boyd. Prior to his appointment as president in 1961, Boyd was an Associate Professor of Physics at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta and director of the school's Engineering Experiment Station (now known as Georgia Tech Research Institute). Boyd served as president until 1971. Although the majority of his papers are from various departments and organizations at West Georgia College, there are...
Overview This collection contains photographs and photographic negatives of Carroll County, Georgia. Most depict Carrollton, Georgia at the turn of the twentieth century and include scenery such as Adamson Square and the Fourth District A & M School.
Dates: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1860-1971; bulk 1860-1971