W. Fred Gunn papers
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains materials pertaining to West Georgia College while Gunn was Dean, including announcements, a campus map, correspondence, enrollment lists, histories, student programs, scholarships, and visitor information.
- Majority of material found within Bulk, 1944-1946
- Gunn, W. Fred, 1885-1964 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Open to all users; no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use note
Rights have been transferred to the University of West Georgia.
William (known as W. Fred) Gunn was born June 27, 1885 in Crawfordville, Georgia. He graduated from Mercer University in Macon, Georgia in 1915 with his B.S. Degree and obtained his M.S. Degree in 1917.
From 1918-1920, he was principal of Gainesville High School, in Gainesville, Georgia. From 1920-1924, Gunn was Superintendent of Sparta Public Schools, in Sparta, Georgia. In addition, he was Superintendent of Sandersville Public Schools, in Sandersville, Georgia from 1924-1927. He served as Superintendent of Carroll County Schools from 1927-1933. He was the Dean of West Georgia College from 1933-1945. In 1936, West Georgia College dedicated the Chieftain yearbook in his honor, citing his, “honesty, justice and willingness to lend a sympathetic ear to students at any time and who has, through his tireless effort, been an influence for good on the campus.” After leaving West Georgia, Gunn served as the president of Tift College from 1948-1952.
Gunn died in August 1964 and approximately a year later Gunn Hall, an award winning residence hall on the UWG campus, was constructed and dedicated in his honor. Gunn was married and had two sons, Fred Allyn and William B.
0.84 Linear feet (2 boxes)
Papers of William (known as W. Fred) Gunn, Dean of West Georgia College from 1933 to 1946.
Arranged alphabetically by file title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Processing Information note
Processed by Shannon Danielle Smith in 2010 and Candice Larson in 2015.
- Carrollton (Ga.) -- History
- Education -- Georgia -- Carrollton
- Education, Rural -- Georgia
- Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School (Carrollton, Ga.) -- History
- Gunn, W. Fred, 1885-1964 -- Archives
- Ingram, Irvine Sullivan, 1892-1981 -- Correspondence
- Julius Rosenwald Fund
- Junior colleges -- Georgia -- History
- West Georgia College -- History
- West Georgia College -- Students
- Guide to the W. Fred Gunn papers MS-0022
- Finding aid prepared by Written by Shannon Danielle Smith and Candice Larson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English