Skip to main content

Bulletins

 Collection
Identifier: UA-0006-06

Scope and Contents note

This collection consists of bulletins issued by West Georgia College and the State University of West Georgia. Initially issued quarterly, the number of issues per academic year varies throughout. The bulletins generally include academic program and course descriptions, institutional histories, photographs, lists of faculty members, campus maps and illustrations.

Dates

  • 1935-2005

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

Use is open to researchers only if the cataloged copy in Special Collections is unavailable.

Conditions Governing Use note

Rights have been transferred to the University of West Georgia.

Biographical/Historical note

These course bulletins, issued by the office of the Registrar from the years 1935 to 2005, offer a unique insight into the institution’s evolution from a two-year junior college (West Georgia College) into a comprehensive, doctoral-granting university (the State University of West Georgia). The descriptions of academic programs, course descriptions and campus maps that comprise the bulletins not only illustrate the growth and development an educational institution, but often reflect larger historical frameworks as well.

Bulletins issued during the late 1930s and early 1940s depict a campus both rural and uniquely progressive. At this time, West Georgia College—located then in the Carrollton “suburb” of Genoloa—garnered national attention for its Education of Rural Teachers program. This progressive three-year program of study sought to equip teachers of rural children with the basic rural life skills necessary in order to “see in the same light” as their students. The bulletins from this time period provide detailed descriptions of this program, its courses and the faculty members involved.

Additionally, the course bulletins from 1943 and 1944 not only offer an illustration of academic and campus life at West Georgia College, but also offer a glimpse at college life during the United States war effort. The information found within these bulletins focuses largely on the ways in which students can be better prepared serve their country during wartime.

In 1957, West Georgia College became a four-year institution and additional bulletins were issued with added sections of curriculum in core areas such as English Composition, History and Physical Education. Additionally, the college also offered an increasingly diverse selection of specialized and advanced coursework, including graduate courses in Education, English and History. It was also during this time that West Georgia College began to cultivate its distinctive Humanistic Psychology program.

The late 1990s and early 2000s reflect a similar period of growth. In 1996, West Georgia College transitioned into the State University of West Georgia, and its three academic units—the school’s of Business, Education, and Arts and Sciences—subsequently became colleges. Also, in the Spring quarter of 1998, the university debuted the web-based system, “Banner Web,” allowing students to register for courses online.

Extent

5.88 Linear feet (14 boxes)

Language

English

Overview

Course bulletins from West Georgia College and the State University of West Georgia from the years 1935 to 2005.

Arrangement note

Arranged chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Transferred from the Registrar’s office at unknown date.Open to all users; no restrictions

Processing Information note

Processed by Brian Crews in 2013.
Title
Guide to the Bulletins UA-0006-06
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Written by Brian Crews
Date
2013
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States