State University of West Georgia
- Existence: 19960612-2005
Biographical / Historical
The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School was established in December, 1906 in Carroll County, Georgia following the August 18, 1906 approval of Public Law 448 by the Georgia General Assembly, an act providing for the establishment and maintenance of schools of agriculture and mechanical arts to serve rural youth in each congressional district. The school operated from 1908-1933, becoming West Georgia College on April 15, 1933. It remained a college until noon on June 12, 1996, when it was named the State University of West Georgia. This name changed in 2005 to University of West Georgia.
Found in 18 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Activities of the University of West Georgia Chapter of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP), a professional organization that seeks to advocate for academic freedom and shared governance, to define ethics and standards, and to support higher education as a beneficial contribution to the community.
Overview This collection contains commencement addresses for West Georgia College and the University of West Georgia from 1977 to 1993 and 2012. This collection also contains newspaper clippings and a list of commencement speakers for West Georgia College.
Dates: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1977-1993; 1944-2012
Overview Scrapbooks, photographs, and documents about University of West Georgia history collected by a director of Alumni Relations at the University of West Georgia.
Dates: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1950-2008; 1907-2012
Overview Correspondence, publications, books, photographs, newspaper articles, manuscripts, and slides created or collected by Jonathan Goldstein, Professor of History, during his 33-year career at the University of West Georgia.