Skip to main content

Myron W. House papers

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0053

Scope and Contents note

This collection contains personal and research files collected by Myron House.

Series One contains files pertaining to Sacred Harp singing including articles, brochures, correspondence, newspaper clippings, papers, obituaries, and speeches.

The majority of series two contains research files collected by House pertaining to his publication From A&M to State University. Materials in this series include biographical files, bulletins, correspondence, chapter drafts, notes, and questionnaires. Also contained in this series is a cookbook created by the librarians at West Georgia.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within Bulk, 1980-1998
  • 1943-2004

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

Open to all users; no restrictions

Conditions Governing Use note

Rights have been transferred to the University of West Georgia.

Biographical/Historical note

Myron Wade House was born in New Albany, Indiana on June 14, 1951 to Luther Franklin House and Norma Alene Baker. He attended S. Ellen Jones Elementary School in New Albany and Jonesboro Junior and Senior High Schools in Jonesboro, Georgia. Upon graduation from Jonesboro Senior High School in 1969, House entered Clayton Junior College as one of the first students to attend the newly founded institution. He graduated from Clayton Junior College (now Clayton State University) in 1971 and from Georgia State University in 1971 with a B.A. degree in history, cum laude. In 1973 House graduated from Emory University with a M.A. degree in history.

After teaching two years at Mundy’s Mill Junior High School in Clayton County, Georgia, House entered library school at Atlanta University and graduated in 1979 with a M.S.L.S. degree. In 1980 West Georgia College opened a special collections room, named the Annie Belle Weaver Special Collections, and House became the first full-time Special Collections Librarian. In 1998, with the late Dr. James C. Bonner and Dr. James W. Mathews, he co-authored From A&M to State University: A History of the State University of West Georgia. House retired from West Georgia on August 18, 2006, the one hundredth anniversary of the institution.

House is a former president of the Society of Georgia Archivists, the Carroll County Historical Society, the Carroll County Genealogical Society, and is a charter member of the Bowdon Area Historical Society. He is an elder in the Seventh-day Adventist church.

Extent

1.68 Linear feet (4 boxes)

Language

English

Overview

Papers of Myron W House, Special Collections Librarian at West Georgia from 1980 to 2006 and co-author of From A&M to State University.

Arrangement note

Organized into two series: I. Sacred Harp files; II. West Georgia College files.

Arranged alphabetically by file title.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Donated by Myron House on August 31, 2006.

Processing Information note

Processed by Candice Larson in 2016.
Title
Guide to the Myron W. House papers MS-0053
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Written by Candice Larson
Date
2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States