Skip to main content

Ward B. Pafford papers

 Collection
Identifier: UA-0002-04

Scope and Content

This collection contains the papers of West Georgia College's fourth president, Ward B. Pafford. This collection contains various papers relating to his period as the college's president, such as correspondence, administrative materials, and events at the college, as well as many papers relating to Pafford's personal writing career. In addition, this collection also includes books, newsletters, periodicals, plaques, and interviews.

Dates

  • 1932-2011

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Open to all users; no restrictions

User Restrictions

As stipulated by United States copyright law.

Biographical Note

Born on October 25, 1911, in Jesup, Ga., Dr. Pafford was the son of Bascom Anthony Pafford and Jeanette Dukes Pafford. A graduate of Savannah High School, he received his bachelor's and master's degrees from Emory University, and his doctorate from Duke University. Dr. Pafford was married to Sarah Jones Pafford and had two daughters, Martha and Connie.

Dr. Pafford began his teaching career at Moultrie High School, and later served as instructor in English at Clemson College, assistant professor of English at Emory Junior College in Valdosta, Ga., and professor of English at Emory University. From 1953 until 1958, he was chairman of the English department at Emory, where he later became director of graduate studies in English. In 1966, he was named dean of the college at Valdosta State, where he later served as vice president and dean of faculties. In 1971, Dr. Pafford became the fourth president of West Georgia College, succeeding James Boyd, who had become a vice chancellor of the university system. A literary scholar, Dr. Pafford helped to restore a deteriorating relationship between the college and the local community and inaugurated a faculty senate. Following his retirement from the presidency, he returned to Valdosta State College to serve as a professor of English until his final retirement several years later.

Dr. Pafford was a member of Sigma Chi, Omicron Delta Kappa, and Phi Beta Kappa. He was the author of many scholarly articles, as well as numerous newspaper articles and published poems. His areas of study and research concentrated on 19th century English literature and romantic poetry.

During his academic career, he was associate editor of the South Atlantic Bulletin, a managing chairman of the editorial board of the Emory University Quarterly, and a member of the South Atlantic Modern Language Association. He was a voracious reader, and an avid fan of baseball and golf - a sport he worked diligently to conquer over the years.

The Pafford Building, which houses the College of Social Sciences, was named for him. A permanent exhibit dedicated to Dr. Pafford can be viewed on the third floor.

Extent

8.63 Linear feet (17 boxes plus 3 oversize items)

Language

English

Overview

Papers of West Georgia College's fourth president, Ward B. Pafford, who served from 1971 to 1975. Much of his collection documents his interactions with various departments and organizations at West Georgia College. It also contains newsletters, periodicals, books, and correspondence in connection with his personal writing career.

Arrangement

Organized in four series: Series I. Papers; Series 2. Artifacts; Series 3. Books; Series 4. Audio/Visual.

Provenance

Transfer from President's Office. Additional materials were donated in March 2020.

Related Collections

UA-0002-01, Irvine S. Ingram papers

UA-0002-02, William H. Row papers

UA-0002-03, James E. Boyd papers

UA-0002-05, Maurice K. Townsend papers

UA-0002-06, Beheruz N. Sethna papers

Processed By

Processed by Sara Berry and Jason Kennedy. Additions made by Jennah MacPherson, March 2020.
Title
Finding Aid to the Ward B. Pafford papers, 1932-2011 UA-0002-04
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Written by Sara Berry and Jason Kennedy
Date
© 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English
Sponsor
Finding aid converted with funds from a UWG FY14 Presidential Assistance Grant.

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States