Skip to main content

Intercollegiate Athletics Football miscellany

 Collection
Identifier: UA-0004-0404

Scope and Contents note

The materials include a pamphlet of a 1958 banquet for the football team; student ballots collected for the reinstating of the West Georgia Braves football team in 1980; a newspaper article titled “After All These Years, The Pigskin is Back”; a photograph of the 1947 team reunion in 1981; a recollection of the 1981 season titled “The Story of a Remarkable Season”; memorabilia of the 1981 and 1982 seasons, specifically a bumper sticker and a set of cards showing the 1982 season schedule; 1982 Stagg Bowl ticket and postcard recognizing West Georgia College as champions; a Georgia House of Representatives resolution honoring West Georgia College; newspaper clippings chronicling the 1981, 1982, and 1983 seasons; and a DVD promoting the construction of a new stadium for what at that point was the University of West Georgia Wolves.

Dates

  • 1958-2006?

Conditions Governing Access note

Open to all users; no restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use note

As stipulated by U.S. copyright laws.

Biographical/Historical note

West Georgia College’s intercollegiate football program traces back to the institution’s beginnings as The Fourth District A&M School in 1910. This first iteration of the football team lasted until 1959. Between 1959 and 1979, numerous propositions of reestablishing the football program would circulate within administration and the student body. These included study committees weighing the advantages and disadvantages of a football program, student ballots, and faculty ballots. The consensus was largely in favor of reestablishing the program and president Maurice Townsend would approve its return at the NCAA Division III level on May 14, 1980 as the West Georgia College Braves.

Under coach Bobby Pate, the 1981 and 1982 seasons would be successes that would see the Braves winning the 1982 Stagg Bowl. Following their victory at the Division III level, the Braves would move into the Division II Gulf South Conference where it continues to compete today. The University of West Georgia would change its mascot from the Braves to the Wolves in 2006.

Extent

0.42 Linear feet (1 box)

Language

English

Overview

Mixed materials and ephemera related to the intercollegiate football programs of West Georgia College Braves and the University of West Georgia Wolves.

Arrangement note

Arranged chronologically by date of publication.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Provenance unknown. Transferred to Special Collections at an unknown date.

Processing Information note

Processed by Daiyaan Hutson, July 2019.
Title
Guide to Intercollegiate Athletics Football Miscellany UA-0004-0404
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Daiyaan Hutson
Date
July, 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States