Skip to main content

Women's Missionary Union Carrollton Baptist Association scrapbooks

 Collection
Identifier: LH-0101

Scope and Contents note

Six scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, church bulletins, pamphlets and other literature, printed programs, circulars, maps, typed notes, photographs, meeting minutes, and other materials pertaining to the Women's Missionary Society of the Carrollton Baptist Association and to Georgia Baptist history (including materials on Baptist leaders including Dr. Louie D. Newton).

Materials in this collection mention many churches in the West Georgia region. These include: Abilene, Antioch. Bethel, Bethesda, Beulah, Bowdon, Bowdon Junction, Carrollton First Baptist, Carrollton Tabernacle, Centralhatchee, Consolation, Eureka, Glenloch, Harmony, Indian Creek, Kansas, Macedonia, Mars Hill, Mountain View, New Brooklyn, New Lebanon, Oak Grove, Pleasant Grove, Pleasant Ridge, Pleasant View, Providence, Roopville, Salem, Shady Grove, Temple, Tyus, Villa Rica, Welcome Hill, West Carrollton, and Whitesburg.

Included in the materials are a hand-drawn map from the 1940s showing the location of churches within the Carrollton Baptist Association, two scrapbooks filled with materials pertaining to the Sixth World Congress of the Baptist World Alliance held in Atlanta in 1939, and a history of the Carrollton First Baptist membership of enslaved people prior to the Civil War.

Dates

  • 1929 - 1957

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

Open to all users

Conditions Governing Use note

As stipulated by U.S. copyright laws

Biographical/Historical note

The Women's Missionary Union of the Carrollton Baptist Association dates to a number of unsuccessful efforts made in the late 1800s and early 1900s to organize a missionary society in the vicinity of Carrollton. The organization finally took root in 1907 at a meeting of the Carrollton Baptist Association in Waco. [From "Facts and History of B.W.M.U. Of the Carrollton Association," by Mrs. G.W. Lovvorn and Mrs. E.B. Merrell (June 6, 1929)] [Box 1, Item 1].

Extent

0.84 Linear feet (2 ov boxes)

Language

English

Overview

This collection contains materials related to the history of the Women's Missionary Union (WMU) of the Carrollton Baptist Association and the history of the churches within the Carrollton Baptist Association. There are also materials on the general history of Georgia Baptists including information on the Sixth World Congress of the Baptist World Alliance held in Atlanta in 1939.

Arrangement note

Arranged as received.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

This collection was transferred from the Neva Lomason Memorial Library on December 18, 2017. These materials were previously held in Neva Lomason's Special Collections Room. The University of West Georgia Special Collections undertook a project to assist the public library in relocating materials in anticipation of their renovation and redirection of their collection focus. Records of organizations that are no longer in existence were transferred to UWG Special Collections and records of current organizations were returned to their rightful owners.
Title
Guide to the Women's Missionary Union Carrollton Baptist Association Scrapbooks LH-0101
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Catherine Hendricks
Date
2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States