Skip to main content

St. Margaret's Episcopal Church records

 Collection
Identifier: LH-0060

Scope and Content

This collection consists primarily of annual reports, bulletins, correspondence, directories, and emails and other materials concerning the business of St. Margaret's Episcopal Church located in Carrollton, Georgia. Also included are issues of Diolog, newsletter of the Episcopal Church in north and middle Georgia.

Dates

  • 1989 - 2020

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Open to all users; no restrictions.

User Restrictions

Rights transferred to the University of West Georgia.

Biographical Note

St. Margaret's Church in Carrollton, Georgia, began as an "unorganized mission" in 1892. Over the next sixty years, it remained the smallest religious organization in Carrollton until the late 1960's when St. Margaret's reached "Full Parish Status." The Kennedy Chapel on the campus of the University of West Georgia was originally the Episcopal Church on West Avenue, built in 1893. It was purchased by Our Lady of Perpetual Catholic Church in 1953. The Catholic Church donated the building to UWG in 1964 where it was moved and dedicated to the late President Kennedy.

The collections contains materials which contain information on St. Margaret's community outreach programs, which began in 1991 with a mission to provide assistance to Carroll County residents in need of food, clothing, housing, and other essential items and also updates on church business, functions, and listings of various milestones for parishioners such as anniversaries, birthdays, graduations, and retirements. In addition the newsletters contain a list of all those who ask for prayer. The Rev. Hazel Smith Glover has been pastor since 2002.

Extent

5.67 Linear feet (14 boxes)

Language

English

Overview

St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Carrollton, Georgia, began as an "unorganized mission" in 1892. Over the next sixty years, it remained the smallest religious organization in Carrollton until the late 1960s when St. Margaret's reached "Full Parish Status." The Kennedy Chapel, originally the Episcopal Church on West Avenue, was bought by the Catholic Church and later donated to the University of West Georgia where it was dedicated to the late President John F. Kennedy in 1964.

Arrangement note

Arranged in five series with files in alphabetical or chronological order.

Provenance

Donated by Robert Claxton. Additions were made in May 2016, on March 30, 2018, and in June 2018. Other additions donated by Pauline Rodwell in January 2020 and March 2021.

Processed By

Processed by Shannon Danielle Smith in November 2010, Toni Alexander in April 2013, Candice Larson in 2015, Laurel Durham in 2018, Michael Camp in 2020, and Jennah MacPherson in 2021.
Title
Guide to the St. Margaret's Episcopal Church Records 1989-2018 LH-0060
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Shannon Danielle Smith, November 2010; Toni Alexander, April 2013; Catherine Hendricks, 2018; and Michael Camp, January 2020.
Date
2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Sponsor
Finding aid converted with funds from a UWG FY14 Presidential Assistance Grant.

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States