Skip to main content

Carroll Rural Electric Association records

 Collection
Identifier: LH-0001

Scope and Contents note

The collection consists of six document boxes of correspondence between Robert D. Tisinger and his representatives with the following groups or individuals: Rural Electrification Administration officials in Washington, D.C.; local, state, and federal government officials; suppliers and contractors, and clients served by Carroll REA (currently Carroll EMC). The collection also contains the following documents: Right of way easements, contracts and agreements (e.g., project funding renewals, suppliers' payment schedules, etc.), papers relating to lawsuits, board meeting announcements and minutes; and other documentation related to the association's activities (e.g., newsletters, annual meeting brochures, etc.).

Dates

  • 1935-1959

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

Open to all users; no restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use note

As stipulated by U.S. copyright laws.

Biographical/Historical note

The Carroll Rural Electric Association began as a cooperative entity in 1936. It was the 34th project funded by the federal Rural Electrification Administration through a loan of $118,000 from the federal government. Its main goal was to provide electrification to homes in rural areas. The charter of the association was amended the following year, and its name was changed to Carroll Electric Membership Corporation (Carroll EMC).

The Corporation encountered challenges prompted by World War II and disastrous weather conditions in 1960. In spite of this, the demand for electricity was increasing by the mid-1950s. In 1982, Carroll EMC, with over 2,700 miles of line, was serving 21,000 homes, businesses, and other local structures. Among the first lines run were one south to Tyus and Roosterville in Heard County, one to Hickory Level, and one north on Bremen Road to Bowdon Junction. The Roopville area was already being served by the Georgia Power Company.

Extent

2.5 Linear feet (6 boxes)

Language

English

Overview

This collection consists primarily of correspondence, right of way easements, and other paperwork related to the operations, management, and legal activities of the Carroll Rural Electric Association, a cooperative currently known as Carroll Electric Membership Cooperative. These activities were conducted through the office of local attorney Robert D. Tisinger as general counsel.

Arrangement note

Arranged alphabetically by file title.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Robert D. Tisinger, general counsel of the Carroll Rural Electric Association (currently known as Carroll EMC), donated the papers and documents related to the history of the organization in March 1982.

Robert David Tisinger was born October 20, 1909, in the Victory community of Carroll County, Georgia, to George W. and Ida B. McDaniel Tisinger. He married Naomi Eugenia Evans in Carroll County on September 29, 1934, and the couple had two sons, David H. and Richard G. Tisinger.

Tisinger served as general counsel to the Carroll Rural Electric Association from its inception in 1936. He was involved in many aspects of Carroll County’s growth and development, was active in its judicial system, and was recognized for his participation in numerous local civic organizations as an elected official and/or as an award recipient. Tisinger died of heart failure on December 22, 1991, and was buried at Victory United Methodist Church in Carroll County.

Related Archival Materials note

Carroll Electric Membership Corporation Newsletters, LH-0037.

Processing Information note

Processed by Danilo M. Baylen in 2009.
Title
Guide to the Carroll Rural Electric Association records, 1935-1959 LH-0001
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Danilo M. Baylen
Date
2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States