Carrollton First United Methodist Church records
Scope and Contents
The records contain bulletins, newsletters, photographs of the church, a fan with history of the church's buildings, and three membership directories. The newsletters discuss events and classes held by the church along with graduations and prayer requests pertaining to disasters in the U.S. and around the world. The bulletins contain that Sunday’s order of service, sick list, and upcoming events. Also in this collection are photographs of churches around the West Georgia region.The records also include a history of Liberty United Methodist Church, the oldest church in Hephzibah (Richmond County), Georgia.
Conditions Governing Access
Open to all users; no restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Rights held by the University of West Georgia.
Biographical / Historical
Methodism was brought to Carroll County in 1847 by Circuit Riders with worship services held in the Courthouse. The first building of the First United Methodist Church was located on what is now Alabama Street and U.S. 27. In 1881, a second building was added. In 1904, a brick church was built at 206 Newnan Street (the present day location of the church). An education building was added in 1940 and the chapel in 1954. Carrollton First United Methodist Church is affiliated with the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church.
2.10 Linear Feet (5 boxes and 2 OV folders)
Bulletins, newsletters, and other records of the Carrollton First United Methodist Church in Carrollton, Georgia.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Reverend Larry Patton, Carollton First United Methodist Church, 10 December 2019
- Carrollton First United Methodist Church records
- MacKenzie Wright
- January 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note