Skip to main content

Irvine Sullivan Ingram Library records, Administrative files

 Collection
Identifier: UA-0005-1506

Scope and Contents note

Materials related to the operations of the Sanford Library/West Georgia College Library/Irvine S. Ingram Library from 1947-2018. Major milestones and events, reflected in the records, include Robert H. Simmons' tenure as head librarian (1969-1977), Charles Beard's arrival as library director in 1978 and his 26-year tenure in that position, the library's expansion of services and move from a manual (card catalog) system to the use of automated technology, the 1980 addition to the library and naming of the facility for past WGC president Irvine Sullivan Ingram.

Items include acquisition lists, budget statements, memoranda, annual reports, library status reports, " A Survey of the West Georgia Library" by a consulting librarian, catalog cards, statistical reports, grant applications, accession records, working papers, newspaper articles, library guides, ledgers, budget reports, instructional manuals, the 1971 seven year plan, letters from patrons, cook books, weekend barcoding schedule, handwritten notes, envelopes, meeting agendae and minutes, photographs, newsletters, correspondence by Robert H. Simmons and others, photographs, self guided tours, library organizational charts, library handbook for faculty, additional handbooks, flyers, printed programs, printed invitations, instructional manuals, policy manuals, Special Collections accession sheets, minutes of Library Committee meetings, notes, photographs and negatives, slides, reel-to-reel audiotapes, computer disks, mugs, and other historical objects.

Dates

  • 1957-2006

Conditions Governing Access note

Open to all users.

Conditions Governing Use note

As stipulated by U.S. copyright laws.

Biographical/Historical note

The West Georgia College Library was officially organized in 1933 and housed in one room of the old Administration Building. That same year, Irvine Sullivan Ingram, the first president of West Georgia, appointed Annie Belle Weaver as the college's first librarian and the Library remained under her leadership until her retirement in 1969.

The first major step in the development of the library program was the construction of a separate library building, Sanford Hall, which was begun in 1936 and completed in 1937. In 1940, through President Ingram's influence and support, the Rosenwald Fund appropriated $20,000 for the enlargement of Sanford Hall and a further expansion of the same facility was completed in 1958 with state funds.

During the 1960s, the library's collection and range of services to patrons grew so rapidly that Sanford Hall's expanded facilities were insufficient. In 1968, a new building was constructed and opened and the following year, upon Miss Weaver's retirement, Robert H. Simmons was named head librarian. During his tenure, 1967-1977, the library increased its collection to 200,000 volumes and saw its staff double in size, as West Georgia College's library joined other college libraries in the expansion of services and in the use of new automated technology.

Soon after his appointment as West Georgia College's President in 1975, Dr. Maurice K. Townsend received approval from the University System of Georgia's Board of Regents to make an addition to the facility and to name the library for Irvine Sullivan Ingram. In so doing, the Board of Regents made a highly usual move since policy dictated that no buildings in the university system were to be named for living persons.

Charles E. Beard joined the library as director in the summer of 1978, beginning a 26-year tenure in that position. Work on the library addition began in 1979, was completed the following year, and the newly-enlarged and renamed library was dedicated on Sunday, May 25, 1980.

In 1983, Betty Jobson, who joined the library in 1964, moved into the role of associate director, retiring in June 1993. Mark McManus assumed this role in September 1993.

In June 2004, Charles Beard died and E. Lorene Flanders was appointed library director the following year and held that position for twelve years. In 2008, during the Georgia state legislative session, eight million dollars was appropriated in the 2009 state budget to fund the renovation of the library as a tribute to the late Georgia House Speaker Thomas B. Murphy. In 2009, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia awarded the design contract to Houser Walker Architecture and tvs design and the construction contract to Parrish Construction with work getting underway in the Spring of 2010 and completed the following year.

Extent

8.0 Linear feet (14 boxes, 4 flat boxes)

Language

English

Overview

Records related to the administrative operations of the library at the institution consecutively known as West Georgia College, the State University of West Georgia, and the University of West Georgia, from 1947 to 2018.

Arrangement note

The records are arranged in the following series: (1) General Files, (2) Library Committee Files, (3) Statistics, (4) Library Division and Department Heads Meetings, (5) Audio Visual Items, (6) Objects. Files are arranged chronologically within each series.
Title
Guide to the Irvine Sullivan Ingram Library Records, Administrative Files UA-0005-1506
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Catherine Hendricks
Date
2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States