Skip to main content

University of West Georgia Centennial Quilt

 Collection
Identifier: UA-0002-14

Scope and Contents note

The University of West Georgia Centennial Quilt, entitled "From Rural Roots to Global Reach," was made for the University of West Georgia's Centennial by the West Georgia Quilters Guild and presented to the University by the Guild in August 2007. It was designed by Bruce Bobick, chair of the Department of Art from 1979 to 2005. The borders and ten sections were embroidered, pieced, and quilted by Mildred Bennett, Jeanette Bernhardt, Jane Brownlow, Barbara Cavender, Nadine Cole, Sandy Dathe, Violette Denney, Valerie Diffey, Vivian Fidler, Tommie Freeman, Sandy Gowing, Nancy Halden, Susan Hardin, Glenn Kingsley, Jane Kingsley, Patti LaConto, Robbi Leeper, Celia Miller, Ann O'Hearn, Dee Ratliff, Diane Sharp, Anita Thomas, Mariene Uglum, and Norma West. An accompanying plaque bears the names of the quilters and their individual contributions to the project.

Dates

  • August 2007

Conditions Governing Access note

Open to all users.

Biographical/Historical note

The Centennial Quilt made by the West Georgia Quilters Guild in celebration of the University of West Georgia's centennial is composed of ten bands of different colors, symbolically representing the decades comprising the existence of the institution. The images in the lower sections are tree roots drawn from life on the West Georgia campus. The roots are metaphors for the university's humble beginnings as the Carrollton Agricultural and Mechanical School. On the right side of the quilt, the tree trunk morphs into one of the pillars of the Bonner House. Built in 1843, it is the oldest building on campus. On the left, the roots support the McIntosh Stone. The horse mounting stone, which served for a time as the logo of West Georgia, was moved in 1916 from the McIntosh Reserve to the A&M School (and returned in 2017).

The Kennedy Chapel is depicted above the McIntosh Stone. Attorney General Robert Kennedy attended the dedication of this interfaith chapel which was named in 1964 for his brother John F. Kennedy. Built in 1893, it is the second oldest building on campus.

The flame sculpture located at the university's main entrance, created by emeritus professor of Art Henry Setter, is shown in the central section of the quilt. The flame symbolizes the spark of intellect or the flame of knowledge.

At the top of the quilt, an embroidered section replicates a group of scenes from the Bayeux Tapestry, and represents the university's "global reach." West Georgia has various study abroad programs for its students, and among them is the Summer Art Program in Bayeux and Paris. Careful attention to the embroidery will reveal preparations for a journey over water. The section also shows some of the various activities one would encounter upon reaching one's destination. Thus, the golden band seems to be a fitting capstone to the theme, "From rural roots to global reach."

The quilt was designed by Bruck Bobick, emeritus professor of art, and was sewn together using various techniques, which included hand-piecing, applique, reverse applique, and embroidery. Because the quilt was pieced in sections, ten groups were able to work simultaneously on the piecing and embroidery. It was hand-quilted by twenty-five women and men of the West Georgia Quilters Guild (as described below) to commemorate the Centennial of the University of West Georgia.

Red & Blue Borders were made by Sandy Dathe. The tree in the top border was embroidered and quilted by Violette Denney. Section #1 (gold) was embroidered by Jeanette Bernhardt, Ann O'Hearn, and Violette Denney. This section was pieced by Ann O'Hearn and quilted by Violette Denney. Section #2 (yellow) was appliqued and pieced by Norma West and Robbi Leeper. It was quilted by Robbi Leeper. Section #3 (white/light yellow) was appliqued and pieced by Diane Sharp and Nancy Halden. The embroidery was added and it was quilted by Susan Hardin. Section #4 (light green) was appliqued, pieced and quilted by Tommie Freeman, Celia Miller and Violette Denney. Section #5 (green) was appliqued and pieced by Nadine Cole, Vivian Fidler and Susan Hardin. It was quilted by Susan Hardin and Vivian Fidler. Section #6 (blue green) was appliqued and pieced by Patty LaConto and Sandy Gowing. Sandy Gowing quilted this section. Section #7 (blue) was appliqued and pieced by Jane Kingsley, Glenn Kingsley and Dee Ratliff. It was quilted by Sandy Gowing, Mildred Bennett and Dee Ratliff. Section #8 (purple) was appliqued and pieced by Jane Brownlow, Mildred Bennett and Sandy Gowing. The quilting was by Jane Brownlow, Mildred Bennett, and Dee Ratliff. Section #9 (red) was appliqued/pieced by Valerie Diffey and Anita Thomas. It was quilted by Valerie Diffey. Section #10 (brown) was appliqued, pieced, and quilted by Mariene Uglum and Barbara Cavender. The sections were stitched together by Susan Hardin and Violette Denney. The binding and sleeves were stitched and hemmed by Susan Hardin.

Extent

3.62 Linear feet (2 ov boxes)

Language

English

Overview

A quilt, entitled "From Rural Roots to Global Reach," made for the University of West Georgia's Centennial by the West Georgia Quilters Guild in August 2007 and an accompanying plaque bearing the names of the quilters and their individual contributions to the project. The Centennial Quilt was designed by Bruce Bobick, chair of the Department of Art from 1979 to 2005.
Title
Guide to the University of West Georgia Centennial Quilt, 2007 UA-0002-14
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Catherine Hendricks
Date
2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States