Skip to main content

Carroll County, Georgia map

 Collection
Identifier: LH-0115

Scope and Contents note

This untitled and unsigned hand-drawn single-sheet map shows the boundaries of Carroll County, which is then divided into 13 numbered districts and numbered lots within each district. To the north the mapmaker has written “CheroKee Nation,” and on the southeast has shown the location of the “Chattahoochie River” as the boundary on the southeast. Also shown on the map is the “Reserve” [Chief McIntosh Reserve] in the southeast part of District 4. Some creeks are indicated.

In district lots, names of owners are sporadically penciled or penned in. A sampling of these names include Brooks, Camp, Cobb, Fambrough, Hanson, Long, Mabry, Ray, Upton and more.

Lot numbering is inconsistent within the Districts on this map. Sometimes the lot number 1 begins in the upper left (northwest), sometimes it begins in the upper right (northeast), and sometimes it begins in the lower right (southeast). The numbering of the lots runs like as snake, rather than reading of lines where the starting point is always on the same side. Numbering runs horizontally and vertically.

There appear to be inconsistencies between lot ownership indicated on the map and the land lottery records. For example, on the map, J. Brooks is marked in Lot 168 District 6, but the land lottery records show a December 2, 1827 transaction where John Brooks acquired Lot 166 District 6 (page 180 of original volume; transcribed in Mary Florence Arthur Word's Carroll County, Georgia: Abstract of Deed Book A and B, 1827-1836, Carrollton: West Georgia Family Research, 1992, page 19).

Dates

  • 1828-1830

Conditions Governing Access note

Open to all users

Conditions Governing Use note

Copyright as stipulated by U.S. laws

Biographical/Historical note

Ceding of land from the Creek Indians to the U.S. Government became official with the Senate’s ratification of the Treaty of Washington on April 22, 1826 (supplanting the invalidated 1825 Treaty of Indian Springs). In December 1826, Carroll County in the western part of Georgia was formed, with 16 districts, and in the shape of a triangle with the north-south line at the Alabama boundary.

This map has only 13 land districts and lacks Districts 14, 15, and 16 which became Troup County in 1827 (thus cutting off the southern tip of the original triangle), and also lacks District 1 and parts of Districts 2 and 3 which became part of Campbell County in 1828 (thus cutting off the eastern point).

The boundaries on this map pre-date 1830 when Districts 12 and 13, and parts of 9, 11, and 4 became part of Heard County.

Governor Troup ordered surveys to be conducted of Lee, Muscogee, Coweta, Troup, and Carroll Counties on September 2, 1826; not waiting for the removal of Creek Indians from these areas to occur. This caused difficulties as surveyors encountered Creek Indians during their work. According to a letter written from Carroll County Districts 14 & 15 surveyor, Thomas Mitchell, to Governor Troup on November 12, 1826, he had no trouble except for rain. However, Elijah Byne who was surveying District 13 and James A. Rogers who was surveying District 9, also encountered Creek Indians who were angered about the surveyor’s presence and actions. In the midst of surveying District 16, Frederick Williams was intercepted by Creek Indians and instructed not to proceed, which he complied with.

The Treaty of Washington left a strip of the western edge of Carroll County to remain with Creek Indians. Governor Troup ignored this, and sent surveyors in to that area as well which resulted in confrontation in District 12 on December 29, 1826. Surveyor of this district, James Kendrick was confronted by Tribal members for being over Bright’s Line. On November 15, 1827, the Creek Indians ceded all of their remaining land in Georgia. The first land lottery had already begun on March 6 of that year.

Extent

0.26 Linear feet (1 map folder)

Language

English

Overview

Untitled and unsigned manuscript map of Carroll County, Georgia showing districts, lots, and major topographical features.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of T. Peter Worthy, December 2018. Worthy purchased the map from Grey Parrot Gallery (Atlanta) in August 2014.

Physical Description

Paper, flattened with fold marks still visible; map was repaired and backed at an unknown date. 40 by 60 centimeters.
Title
Guide to the Carroll County, Georgia Map LH-0115
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Blynne Olivieri
Date
2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States