Skip to main content

Local and Miscellaneous audio-visual recordings

 Collection
Identifier: LH-0095

Scope and Contents note

This collection consists of video and audio files of the Carroll County Historical Society meetings and other recordings pertaining to the regional history of West Georgia.

Audio and video formats include: VHS tapes, U-Matic tapes, U-Matic S tapes, one Audio cassette tape, and one Quadraphonic open reel tape.

Dates

  • 1982-2007

Conditions Governing Access note

Open to all users

Conditions Governing Use note

As stipulated by U.S. copyright laws

Biographical/Historical note

Carroll County, Georgia was established in 1825 and contains the cities of Carrollton, Bowdon, Mt. Zion, Temple, Villa Rica, and Whitesburg. Carroll County is named after Charles Carroll of Maryland, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

The Carroll County Historical Society, formed in 1975, is a local history organization in Carroll County, Georgia. Carroll County Historical Society is headquartered at the old Curtis-Marlow-Perry House, one of the oldest homes in Carrollton (originally located on Stewart Street, later moved to 226 West Avenue, Carrollton, GA). CCHS strives to preserve the history of Carroll County through maintaining a County Archive Museum, protecting greenspace, erecting historical markers, and by conducting oral history interviews.

D.W. Brooks (1901-1999) was a major figure in American agriculture. Mr. Brooks was known for his administrative in efforts to maintain farms during the Great Depression. Mr. Brooks led Gold Kist, Inc. (Atlanta-based farm cooperative) for forty seven years, originally Georgia Cotton Cooperative Association then Cotton Producers Association (CPA). He served as agricultural advisor to seven U.S. presidents (1940s-1970s). Mr. Brooks held a master’s degree in agricultural from University of Georgia, where he taught from 1922-1925.

Marion Thomas (M.T.) Fuller Jr. (1921-2012) was a resident of Carrollton, Georgia. He was a World War II veteran; a Sargent with the US Air Force. M.T. fuller died at the age of 91 on July 4, 2012. His gravesite is in Clem Cemetery (also known as Clem United Methodist Cemetery) located on Clem Lowell Road in Carrollton, Georgia.

Extent

2.1 Linear feet (6 boxes)

Overview

Video and audio recordings pertaining to the history of Carroll County, Georgia.

Arrangement note

Organized in five series: 1. Carroll County Historical Society (chronological order); 2. Gold Kist (chronological order); 3. Miscellaneous, with sub-series: M.T. Fuller (alphabetical order); 4. Other Local (chronological order); 5. Unidentified and Unplayable (alphabetical).

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Unknown
Title
Guide to the Local and Miscellaneous audio-visual recordings LH-0095
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Repository Details

Part of the University of West Georgia Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections, Ingram Library
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton GA 30118-2000 United States