Primitive Baptist Association records
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains the minutes for six Primitive Baptist Associations that are composed of churches in western Georgia and eastern Alabama. The minutes span the years 1917 to 1999, with the majority coming from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s.
- Majority of material found within Bulk, 1940-1969
- Approximately 1917-1999
- Primitive Baptist Association. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
Open to all users; no restrictions
Conditions Governing Use note
Rights have been transferred to the University of West Georgia.
The Primitive Baptists emerged in Georgia in the nineteenth century after a disagreement among Baptists regarding the importance of missionary work. Primitive Baptists believed missions were not of great importance and instead focused on the Calvinist doctrine of predestination and a literal interpretation of the Bible. They would later be divided on other key issues such as the manner of addressing the unconverted in sermons and limited versus absolute predestination. Moreover, many Primitive Baptist churches and associations were created by African-Americans following the Civil War. Today, most Primitive Baptist associations and churches maintain their belief in predestination and Calvinist theology.
0.21 Linear feet (1 box)
This collection contains the published minutes from several annual Primitive Baptist Associations in the west Georgia region, dating from 1917 to 1999.
Arranged alphabetically by file title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Unknown. There are prices written in the top right corner of all of the minutes, so they were probably purchased at a yard sale or flea market venue.
Processing Information note
Processed by Sarah Warren in April 2009 and Candice Larson in 2014.
- Alabama -- Church history -- 20th century
- Baptist associations -- Alabama -- History -- 20th century
- Baptist associations -- Georgia -- History -- 20th century
- Beulah Primitive Baptist Association.
- Cane Creek Primitive Baptist Association
- Georgia -- Church history -- 20th century
- Little Vine Primitive Baptist Association
- Marietta Old School Primitive Baptist Association
- New Hope Primitive Baptist Association
- Original Ochlocknee Primitive Baptist Association
- Primitive Baptists--History--20th century.
- Guide to the Primitive Baptist Association records LH-0043
- Finding aid prepared by Written by Sarah Warren and Candice Larson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English